Monday, May 10, 2010

Why Idol Sucks this Season

I watch it every week. I cringe and complain but I keep watching. It's a sickness and an addiction and I'd quit if I could, but trying to quit a bad tv show is tough. Sometimes you can go gold turkey. Sometimes it takes work, and you relapse (cough-Heroes_cough) and just like quitting smoking you have to find a way to put down that cigarette for good (and stop watching the train wreck which is Heroes). I haven't gotten to that point with idol yet. I keep hoping it gets better. But it doesn't. Nobody steps up. Nothing is surprising and it's the same mediocrity every week. Sure Crystal is a great 70s southern hippie rock throw back. Lee could be in a Nickleback-esque band and might sell some albums, but it's not exciting. Where are the moments from past seasons? Adam Lambert strutting around the stage, Bo Bice singing alone with just his voice and a spotlight, both Carrie and Alison's mastery of Heart: SOMETHING.

Season after season, the judges stress being current and most importantly, song choice. We heard that at the beginning of this season too, but slowly it faded away. Instead of saying "That was the wrong song choice," they say "That wasn't your best performance," or the lack lustre "it wasn't right for you," or "you chose the right song but it didn't work for me, dawg."

Being current has always been code for being good and making the song your own, but the poor constants got so confused this season it was almost laughable. Be current, but sing Elvis, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and Frank Sinatra. Oh, and with Sinatra don't forget about changing the song to fit your style. We're going to arrange it for you. Does that seem right? To me, it doesn't. These are icons in music. If you change it up too much people get angry. If you don't change it enough the judges cry Karaoke. It's no win. There were bad themes other years too, don't get me wrong, which brings me to the point of my rant. The reason this season sucks is...


http://blogs.ajc.com/american-idol-blog/2010/05/10/the-movie-song-list-for-tomorrow/?cxntfid=blogs_american_idol_blog

This is the approved song list for tomorrow night. Look through it. Sure, there are some jewels but most of it is sappy, melodramatic fluff. It works for a movie. Can you feel the love tonight, Beauty and the Beast-These songs make my childhood. But do I want to hear them on idol, sang by Lee, Crystal, or Casey (who are more each more southern rock than Celine Dion)? No. Let's be honest. Everything big mike sings sounds like it could play during the credits of a late 80s, early 90s movie anyway, so this week should be a breeze for him. Does that make the week interesting? Not so much.

By the number of Duets on the list I looks like we'll be looking to last season for inspiration, but I doubt it'll live up to Adam and Alison's epic rendition of Foghat's Slowride. There's Ballad after ballad on that list. Are two of the guy's going to serenade each other? At least half of the songs on the list are done by icons who have been proven idol downfalls. No one should try Celine, Whitney, or Barbara. Three out of four of our finalists aren't belters so half the list us useless. The amount of repeats on the list is annoying too. Not only have they been done before, but the same artists show up again and again.

Celine Dion-2
Bryan Adams-2
Phil Collins-2
Kenny Loggins-3 (THREE!!!)

WHY?!? I know you have to pay for songs, get them cleared, and all that, but this is American Money-Making-Machine Idol. Try a little harder! I like theme weeks. I think it's good for the idols to take songs from genres they're not too familiar with and twist them into their style, but there has to be something worth choosing.

That being said, here are my predictions for this week

Big Mike- Kiss from a Rose or Can You Feel the Love Tonight (If he doesn't sing one of these songs I'll eat my hat)

Lee- (Everything I do) I do it for You or Iris (other than Mike, I think Lee has the best chance as re-working a song this week)

Casey- Eye of the Tiger (not a good idea) or Ghostbusters (since its a vague rip-off of Huey Lewis' New Drug) or Live and Let Die (which could get goatish again)

My actual hope for Casey is that he goes off list and gets clearance for Against the Wind by Bob Seger because he needs to sing Bob Seger.

Crystal- Summertime (Janis Joplin version, and then get crucified by Simon for not being Fantasia) or Can't Fight the Moonlight (As an experiment) or Into the West (Because Annie Lennox rocks)

Duets

Crystal/Lee -Up Where We Belong~ Joe Cocker/Jennifer Warnes
Mike/Casey - um...damned if I know...Bohemian Rhapsody?

Good Luck tomorrow. They're going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment