Wednesday, July 15, 2009

This Week in X-books

Only two books to talk about this week (I spent the rest of my money on lead statues and a Fables trade)



Dark Avengers #7

Writer~Matt Fraction
Pencils~Luke Ross

The Avengers/X-men Utopia cross-over continues in Dark Avengers #7. Osbourn is frustrated by Dark Beast's Omega Machine and the tension in the Avengers is rising. Neither the Dark Avengers nor the Dark X-men want to be put on the side-lines and it ends in a fight between the two groups. Cyclops flies in on a jetpack (?) and threatens Osbourn, who in turn promises the death of Scott summers. Meanwhile, Emma Frost sees mutant prisoners being treated badly (surprise!) and demands to be shown to the cells. Xavier contacts her telepathically, telling her that beast has been tortured, but Dark Beast has used holographic protections to trick Emma into seeing a storage closet inside the cell. Oh, and there's something about Simon Trask mind controlling hospital patients.

Best/Worst Quotes~Do you need medical attention?
~My fingernails just fell out. So you tell me, professor.


Okay,I love this cover. An homage to X-men #4, it shows two of the key players lording their power over the squabbling pawns. I'm not sure what Emma's thought process in all this is but I'm intrigued. I wouldn't say it's the best cross-over I've read, but I don't have as big of a problem with it as many seem to. Cyclops standing with his hands on his hips in a jetpack however...
And what are they doing to Beast?! The guy's life just sucks more in more. I swear Fraction, if you kill him I'm done with Uncanny (Yeah, that's a lie). 3.5 Stars

X-Factor #46

Writer~Peter David
Pencils~Marco Santucci (although is says DeLandro on the cover)
Mind controlled Monet fights Darwin and Siryn. Jamie, Layla, and Ruby talk to crazy old Dr. Doom and tells them about "doomlocks," which apparently make time travel actually affect continuity. He also tells them to duck as sentinels attack, but are sent into the past (conveniently into the fight of Monet and Siryn) By Trevor Fitzroy.
Best/Worst Quotes~F...Fitzroy? *As in totally evil, major villain from the future Trevor Fitzroy?*
This was a "move the plot along" issue, addressing the Monet problem from a few issues back. It seems David has so many plot threads that he can't address them all in every issue. Which is fine unless you were wanting to see what his plans for Rictor and Shatterstar are. As of the first page they're still kissing. I'm still confused about who Cortex is working for or what the whole purpose it but I'm having enough fun with this book not to care. Peter David takes a bunch of D-list characters and gives them stories and motivation. I'm reading a book that has Darwin and Longshot as key players. I never thought that would happen. They must give David a list of characters who haven't had relevant story-lines in the last ten years and say "take your pick." #46 wasn't one of my favourite issues but it's still better than a lot of what's out there. 4 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment